General Xbox Gaming

Author Topic: Portal 2 - Review  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Sgt Trevor XL

• +0/-0
  • Xbox Core
  • Activity:
    0%
Portal 2 - Review
« on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:48 PM »

After the unsuspected success Portal had in The Orange Box, Valve made the sequel as its own, independent game. Good move.

- STORY -

The story picks up off the surprise ending from the first Portal, where you have been in a "holding cell" which feels more like an ordinary hotel room. After going to sleep, you are waken by a robot named Wheatley, voiced by Stephen Merchant. After some humorous conversation and a destructive ride through Aperture Laboratories, you are reunited with your portal gun and continue your mission to escape. After a while, you come to the chamber in which you destroyed GLaDOS, and Wheatley accidentally wakes her from her death sleep. Now, the tests begin, again.

- GAMEPLAY -

CAMPAIGN
Similar to the style of the original Portal, Valve manages to bring in some new pieces to an already complete puzzle.
Light Bridge - bridges of light. You can use the portal gun to re-position them to walk across a deadly pool of toxins, take cover from sentries, or catch a cube.
Gels - there are three types of gels in the game that can be used to your advantage.
1) The propulsion gel - an orange gel that enables anyone walking on it to move at fast speeds. Helps gain momentum.
2) The trampoline gel - a blue gel that can be bounced on like a trampoline to help jump larger gaps or reach higher areas.
3) The surface gel - a white gel that can spread on walls that can't contain portals in order to use them on the surface. It can get you out of a jam.
Levitation Beams - a beam of blue light, like a beam from an alien ship that abducts people, that floats you and objects in mid air toward the direction it's pointed towards. Sometimes there can be a button that reverses the direction of flow.

Combining all the aspects from both games make for more complex, challenging puzzles, and helps the player feel more successful after completing one.

And with every Valve game, you know there has to be some sort of humor. With the addition of the new character, Wheatley, fans weren't disappointed. The ill-witted robot core is extremely hilarious, which is partially due to the great voice actor, Stephen Merchant. Always ending up babbling like an idiot, Wheatley will provide more than enough laughter. Lingering around at certain times lets you hear a full, humorous conversation. Add that to the already funny GLaDOS and this game will have you quoting the best moments.

MULTIPLAYER
Picking up where the campaign ends, the co-op story mode introduces two new robotic friends, P-Body, the orange cored, slim robot, and Atlas, the shorter, wider, blue cored robot. Players take control of these characters and tackle even more complex, advanced puzzles requiring cooperation, intelligence, and timing. The multiplayer also adds some humor, like crushing your teammate with the push of a button, playing rock, paper, scissors, and fooling around on some puzzles, not to mention playing with a friend makes the game all the more enjoyable.

- GRAPHICS -

The graphics are very, very good. Lighting and shading are accurately displayed, and certain textures have been smoothed out. Complex constructions look very detailed, and the infestation of vegetation in the laboratory looks good. Now, when you think of a robot, you really can't picture it showing emotions, right? Especially when it's just a sphere. Well, certain animations that have been incorporated actually make the robot cores, like Wheatley, look partially human. Movements such as the core light shrinking to show a surprised look, plates that move around like eyelids, and little details that make the robot look human.

- MUSIC/SOUND -
Like said previously in the review, voice actor Stephen Merchant helps provide a humorous and enjoyable character, Wheatley. Partially psychotic GLaDOS is as interesting and funny to listen to as ever, trying to screw with your mind like spitting out directions in 2 seconds, and promising things that don't turn out exactly as predicted. Other areas include another character, Cave Johnson, founder of Aperture Science, in a series of pre-recorded messages intended to help train new test subjects, which were hobos with nothing else to do. He talks in such a confident way that provides with a amazing hilarity, especially when he goes into a rant about life and lemons....

The music in the game is accurate, giving a technological feel to the the advanced science lab environments you are in. Sound ques are also put in, like when you are gaining speed to jump off a ramp, the game adds a little sound effect, which gives a bit of self assurance. The best part of the music is the ending and credits, but I won't go into description so the game isn't spoiled for anyone.

***VERDICT***
The game was able to achieve the bar that it's pre-successor had set. Combining action, puzzles, a cast of enjoyable characters, easter eggs, and humor provide a different style of gameplay that makes it unique. There really isn't any flaws in this game that I can pick out. It's just a good example of a perfectly executed game. My only concerns that I have is that if Valve makes another Portal, what can they add?!
10/10
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 03:02:09 PM by Mr Velocity1577 »

Offline GXG THUGLFE

• +0/-0
  • Team Member
  • Xbox Arcade
  • Activity:
    0%
Re: Portal 2 - Review
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:48:06 PM »
One of my top favorite games. Best tip is the cake is a lie.

Offline Mr Velocity1577

• General Xbox Gaming - Index
  • +5/-0
  • Website Founder
  • Administrator
  • Xbox Slim
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 02:43:16 AM »
I will be playing this on my PC hope it's good fun as I also have Portal, would you recommend I play that first though?

Offline GXG THUGLFE

• +0/-0
  • Team Member
  • Xbox Arcade
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 03:02:23 PM »
for sure, if you dont play the first you kinda only get half of the story.

Offline Flyingcoyote

• +1/-0
  • GOLD V.I.P
  • Xbox Arcade
  • Activity:
    0%
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:48:07 PM »
You monster.